I did it! I managed to fix the Beanstalks quilt top!
Remember this one?
Boy were they skewed. I this blurry picture, I even tried to straighten them, but you can see they are sticking up in ripples. I called them the Wavy Gravies! I really was stuck on this, so I let it sit for a year and a half.
This January, I decided I wanted to finish all the Works In Progress I can. They don't have to be perfect, but I want to try to not get stumped. So when May asked me if I wanted to join a sewing retreat with the Flickr group, the Lazy Bums, I knew I had some company. No pressure, just some good-natured moral support and a bit of nagging too. Sometimes we pick out challenges for each other, based on the list we each made of our WIP's. For April, The Beanstalks Quilt, AKA Wavy Gravies made the list.
I know that this pattern by Tula Pink already looks pretty organic, but I want the quilt to be a rectangle and not a triangle. I could see it needed to be cut, or pieces removed and perhaps some kind of "dart" put in, as for altering clothing, but I really was at a loss as to how I could do it without cutting through the whole thing and losing the lines of the stalks. I ironed the thing and spread it out to assess. I drew chalk lines on the areas that stuck up. I asked for. I did other sewing while I had it in the back of my mind.
Finally, I spread it out one last time, and straightened it as best I could. Every little ripple that stuck up, I taped or pinned. Then I took it to the machine and sewed a new seam on the line where I had taped to move it straight. There are 4 fixes. Three of them barely show, and one has a bit of a pucker. I think quilting and washing will camouflage this quite a bit. Most importantly, the quilt is square, and soon I get to quilt it and use it! I have missed the blue and all the nice florals!