Thursday, April 24, 2014

Forest Garden Angled Frames


I'm so happy that I finally finished a larger quilt top!  I heard about the ORBC Angled Frames QAL in the beginning of April, and I got to work right away picking out a palette.  Two of them actually!

Possible Angled Frames Quilt Pull
 
This pattern that Delores from Deero Designs came up with is a perfect fit for large prints, and for some sewing that can get you out of a rut. Just what I needed!  There are a few fabrics that I have been enjoying on the shelf too long. How can you really see them if they're all folded up?

Another possible fabric pull

I love how improvisational the finished result is. I mixed up my colors about 3 or 4 to one in the order that I sewed them together, and that made some interesting things happen when the strips were sewn together. It is like a giant log cabin block, but with strips joined together with a bias cut, just like making binding. 



 See how the angles just happened to line up right here on one of the edges?  That kind of happy accident is the best!

I had a great time thinking about colors and livening up browns and indigos with a little mint and antique pink.   And, I found out that one of the prints that I'd been afraid to cut into has been reprinted.  This Sand Dollar Print from Kasuri is now out in Moda's line Hearty Good Wishes.  Awesome!

Isn't this Kasuri the same as Sand dollar from Hearty Good Wishes by Moda?


I like how the prints lined up in some places, and I like how the quilt developed its own story.  I think it looks like a garden with a forest beyond.  
I think the wide strips really make the cheater print shine  at this scale.




The tutorial is for a lap sized quilt, but I just added three more rows to make it large enough for my tall person.  It extends over both sides of this bed.


So far, I've only made one, but I am sure to make the other one pretty soon.  It comes together quickly after all the cutting is done, and it is a really nice way to use your fabric and make space for more!

Happy Sewing!

6 comments:

  1. The pattern looks intriguing - but why is there that pink strip in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question about the pink! It's to represent the color of the lake when the sun goes down. A true color here, and very striking when you walk through the woods and come out to see that at the other end.

      Delete
  2. What a effective pattern and you've used such beautiful fabrics! It's great you showed a photo of it laying on the bed, I was suprised at how big it is. It really looks great, I can see why you want to make another one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blue fabrics in this one. They almost look like denim! Perfect for a bed quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it Lizzie!
    I have been looking at this pattern, but as the Fat Quarter Queen have held off as most examples I saw used width of fabric cuts. Did you use fat quarters or yardage?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am happy for all comments and I will try to answer each one if I can!