Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Pom Pom Payback





When I was a kid, I once carefully pulled each and every pom pom off my grandmother's kitchen curtains.
Now, I have my own supply.  I used some on a little banner I made for our soon to be new kitchen. With a little guilt, I added pom poms, because they seemed only fitting.  I am sure my grandmother would have approved.  Besides, she loved pom poms and blue gingham too!

I think they look like little summer lanterns!



For this project, I used some of my stash of crocheted hotpads from a flea market here in middle Sweden.  I like how ladies in different parts of the world might make the same things for their kitchens, but just a little differently.  I've never seen one quite like the one on the bottom.  

I didn't want them to languish in the shop, getting dusty and cramped in their root-around box.  I brought them home, and the Feather Your Nest project gave me just the push to come up with a showcase for them.

I have strip pieced and slashed and stacked the polka dot background.  I think it would have looked just as nice as a whole piece, but I wanted to practice the technique for another project I have in mind. I thought it would add texture, but probally the quilting takes care of that quite enough.  I also wanted to see just how off it looks, in case I use polka dots for paper piecing sometime.  I'm still learning, and i learn by trying and seeing for myself for a lot of things.  I'm pretty happy with the quirks.

I wanted a homespun feel, not too fussy, but embellished just enough.  I think the hand sewing worked well for that, and my pom poms add a little personality.  It's like having my grandmother in my kitchen.

***



My next entry is a covered bandaid box, that I added to the Zakka Style Sewing Kit I made last week.
I like the color, and the box itself is excellent for re-use.  Perfect size for needles.  I peeled off the labels with no trouble and made a little practice patchwork of the scraps from the sewing roll.  That way, the needle case will always be a marker for when I made it, even if it migrates to other sewing kits.  I wasn't to worried about piecing perfectly, only having good practice and making sure it covered the front of the case.


I attached it by double gluing Mod Podge to both the case itself, and the patchwork.  Then, I added another layer with a brush after it all dried.  It hold better than I thought it would, and the fabric is still soft to the touch, but still seems resistant to pulling or staining.  Time will tell.

Here it is with the sewing roll!


I entered both of these projects in the Feather Your Nest Sew Along, over at Stumbles and Stitches.

Great fun, and a super way to use up your stash in new ways.







1 comment:

  1. I am late reading my blogs, and almost missed this! Inquiring minds want to know, since both grandmothers are blue,and aqua lovers, which is the pop pom grandmother?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am happy for all comments and I will try to answer each one if I can!