Saturday, April 14, 2012

Zakka Firsts


I'm loving this Zakka Sew Along.  It's like a do it yourself sewing course, all from one book!  So, for this Zakka Style House Pouch,
I sewed:


1.  My first zipper
2.  My first appliqués
3.  My first curves
4.  My first satin stitch


and I got to change the machine foot several times!  I learned about tension and being careful with the grain of the fabric.  I wasn't, and things started to unravel...till the fusible interfacing put a stop to that.  I'm really pleased with how well the satin stitch came out.  It's a stitch I've seen my mother do time after time, and I never thought I'd have the confidence to get the hang of it! 



Mostly I had fun making something that raided my stash.  I used my favorite buttons and worked around that for the design.  I decided Not to save the bird fabric, but use it so I can enjoy it!  And the door fabric (screen door, perhaps?) is some Kwanza cotton that I've been saving for at least 15 years.  Red solid could have matched for the lining, but this is much more fun, don't you think?


I wanted to make a fun and personal version of the pattern.  I loved the idea of a giant bird guarding my roof, almost a part of the blue sky.  I think of this as a little garden house, or the house Hansel and Gretel should have found on their breadcrumb walk. I think it's a perfect little pouch for storing my favorite letters!




7 comments:

  1. WOO HOO! You are really on your way, Lizzie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I owe it to you, Catskill Quilter you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute, love the pom pom trim!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the bird on the roof!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! I just found your blog. You make the most beautiful things! I made the the Zakka tote but need to catch up! New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just brilliant! I'm following your blog now, too. So glad I joined this sew along and can see amazing work from around the world!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am happy for all comments and I will try to answer each one if I can!